After the Early-modern Times Era (1603 to 1867) ended, many of the descendants of the Shiwaku Navy left their home region to work as sailors on merchant ships or as carpenters in various parts of the country. They were thus able to take full advantage of the skills they had accumulated through their many years in the merchant marine.
The Chitose-za Theater, located in the Tomari area of Honjima Island, was built by Shiwaku carpenters in 1862. The podium was made of granite quarried in Honjima. This building is still being used by the islanders. It reveals a great deal about Shiwaku’s customs and historic level of prosperity.